CIFAR Global Scholars:
Application Review Process
The total time span of the application review process, from application deadline to notification of results to candidates, is about 2.5 months. Candidates invited to attend an interview will usually be contacted within three to four weeks after the application deadline.
Stages of the application review process:
1. CIFAR Program Directors and their selection committees will view all applications for their particular advertised positions. They will rank their applicants based on research excellence, breadth of research interests, and potential for fruitful interaction and collaboration within the program and at Global Academy meetings. Each program will decide on the most effective process for ranking candidates. Program Directors or a representative will provide a ranked short-list of one to five top candidates within three weeks after the application deadline.
2. From each program’s short-list, CIFAR will invite the top two nominees for each position to attend an interview in Toronto, at the Institute’s expense, in about a month’s time. An Interview Committee comprised of CIFAR’s Senior Vice-President, Research and selected members of the academic community, representing a diverse range of disciplines, will be appointed. The interview committee will evaluate nominees’ interest and aptitude for interacting and collaborating within the program and at Global Academy meetings, and their potential to develop leadership and communication skills in the broader research community.
3. Candidates will have one week to respond to an interview invitation. If someone declines, the next candidate in the ranking will be invited. If all short-listed candidates decline an interview, the position will remain unfilled and may be re-advertised.
4. The interview committee may turn back nominees who they find do not meet CIFAR’s standards of quality and breadth, or if other eligibility requirements are not met, or if CIFAR’s procedures and/or policies have not been followed.
5. After the interviews, the interview committee will rank the nominees for each position. The Senior VP Research will advise the President of the interview committee's recommendations. On the President's approval, CIFAR will offer the fellowship to the first - ranked candidate for each position. All candidates will be informed once offers are accepted.