Director, Government & Public Sector
Director, Government & Public Sector is responsible for CIFAR’s dynamic and important government and public sector funding portfolio. CIFAR has received longstanding support from the Government of Canada, provincial governments across the country and, more recently, from governments outside of Canada including the UK and France. Working with these funders to build successful partnerships that drive research excellence and impact is critical to CIFAR’s mission and vision. In this new role, the Director will lead the development, implementation and evaluation of the Institute’s comprehensive government and public sector funding strategy. Responsible for developing and delivering CIFAR’s stewardship and relationship management plans, contract negotiations and performance reporting requirements with all levels of government, the Director will work with leaders across the Institute and represent CIFAR externally.
- Implements the Institute’s federal, provincial and global government and public sector funding plan with a focus on building successful partnerships in support of CIFAR’s mission.
- Represents CIFAR as a go-to knowledge broker by managing current partnerships and identifying and building new funding partnerships with the public sector in Canada and abroad.
- Supports the Vice-President in the development and implementation of CIFAR’s mission, vision and values, working closely with the Knowledge Mobilization Team and colleagues across the Institute.
- Manages assigned resources with a primary focus on public sector funding and accountability.
- Performs all other duties as required and provides support for other Institute initiatives as assigned.
- A graduate degree in public policy or a related field, or the equivalent in education and experienced combined.
- More than five years of experience in government relations or within government.
- Experience working in an academic or research setting.
- Bilingual (French/English) required.
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Expertise in government and the policy-setting and decision-making process.
- Knowledge of and direct experience working with CIFAR stakeholders in federal and provincial governments.
- In-depth knowledge of CIFAR’s vision and mission, research themes and programs.
- Computer skills to use a variety of standard and in-house office software.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Strong communications and presentation abilities.
Position reports to: Vice-President, Engagement and Public Policy
Term of position: Permanent, Full-time
Start date: As soon as possible
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Director, Government & Public Sector in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is January 25th, 2019 at 5 pm.
One of CIFAR's core cultural values is Diversity - we value diversity and aspire to be inclusive in all aspects of our work. CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer and is strongly committed to removing systemic barriers and biases, and by promoting the practice of inclusivity, so that all individuals have equal access to and benefit from the work we do. We encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES
CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email email@example.com and include the term 'Accessibility' in the Subject Line, or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.