Knowledge Mobilization Publications Officer
CIFAR's Knowledge Mobilization (KM) group connects CIFAR's research programs to global thought leaders outside of academia in order to drive research excellence and impact. In support of the Director of Innovation, the Knowledge Mobilization Publications Officer develops content and publications that directly supports the engagement between CIFAR research programs and key stakeholders in Industry, Health, International Development and Government. Through this role, the KM Publications Officer contributes to the strategic and sustained engagement between academic and non-academic stakeholder groups in support of CIFAR’s mission and vision. This position is responsible for planning, developing, tracking, reporting and analyzing publications activities that support the KM team initiatives, assisting in planning of KM events and acting as informational source on CIFAR target sectors and relevant communities.
- Plans and implements KM publications plan and engagements to advance the uptake of CIFAR research program breakthroughs within targeted sectors.
- Maps key sector stakeholders’ groups in Industry, identifying key knowledge users in Canada and priority countries worldwide and identifies potential venues and channels for knowledge sharing.
- Supports the Director of Innovation in the development of KM plans.
Development and implementation of publications plan and strategies
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Innovation to contribute to and execute the CIFAR KM publications plan (including print, digital and social media channels) that aligns with the CIFAR strategic plan.
- Provides strategic publications expertise for CIFAR and its stakeholders.
- Creates a range of specialized KM materials based on CIFAR programmatic achievements for targeted stakeholder groups.
- As required, manages relationships with vendors.
- As required, conducts interviews and collects data points for publications materials.
- Assists in the development of templates to collect KM relevant data.
- In collaboration with the Director of Innovation, develops and monitors metrics for publications strategy evaluation.
Supports the Director of Innovation by providing support on Business and R&D sectors and relevant communities
- Analyzes Business and R&D sectors through stakeholder mapping to identify key thought leaders and venues for knowledge sharing in Canada and internationally.
- Develops an understanding of sectoral challenges and works to integrate that knowledge into the development of KM publications and engagement opportunities.
- Manages relationships within and outside the organization to advance KM goals.
Supports the Director of Innovation in the development of KM plans
- Assists in the coordination of KM events, such as seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- Contributes to the development of KM event materials including invitations, programs and registration pages.
- Supports the development of written materials related to KM engagements such as event reports, narratives of impact, and policy briefs, directed to a targeted audience.
- Performs other duties as required and provides support for other Institute initiatives as assigned.
- A combination of a research-focused graduate degree and experience in executing a scientific publications plan is preferred.
- Experience in a research setting and translational writing in a science or research environment is also preferred.
- Knowledge of Canadian and international research community is an asset.
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Publications: Develops a variety of written materials with clarity and attention to detail for both internal and external stakeholders; tailors written publications to effectively reach a target audience; possesses outstanding verbal, non-verbal, listening and negotiation skills to participate as a successful KM Team member and in cross-departmental scenarios.
- Strategic Thinking: Understands the implications of research and business trends; develops well-informed ideas that are sensitive to various stakeholders.
- Collaboration: Works collaboratively and effectively as a member of the department and in cross-functional project teams.
- Creativity/Innovation: Possesses tools to enable and uncover new perspectives, ideas, and approaches; examines challenges and opportunities from a unique perspective, refines new ideas so there is a higher likelihood of success.
- Adaptability: Flexible in response to various circumstances and shows flexibility in order to carry out work objectives as priorities shift.
- Analysis and Problem Solving: Tackles problems by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach; ensures that decisions are made based on organizational directives; ability to review and synthesize complex and relevant information.
Position reports to: Director of Innovation
Term of position: Permanent, full-time
Start date: As soon as possible
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com quoting Knowledge Mobilization Publications Officer in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is January 25th, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
One of CIFAR's core cultural values is Diversity - we value diversity and aspire to be inclusive in all aspects of our work. CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer and is strongly committed to removing systemic barriers and biases, and by promoting the practice of inclusivity, so that all individuals have equal access to and benefit from the work we do. We encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES
CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the term 'Accessibility' in the Subject Line, or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.