CIFAR is a Canadian-based global charitable organization that convenes extraordinary minds to address science and humanity’s most important questions.
By supporting long-term interdisciplinary collaboration, CIFAR provides researchers with an unparalleled environment of trust, transparency and knowledge sharing. CIFAR’s time-tested model inspires new directions of inquiry, accelerates discovery and yields breakthroughs across borders and academic disciplines. Through knowledge mobilization, CIFAR is a catalyst for change in industry, government and society. CIFAR’s community of fellows includes 20 Nobel laureates and more than 400 researchers from 22 countries. In 2017, the Government of Canada appointed CIFAR to develop and lead the Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy, the world’s first AI Strategy.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, the Project Manager will be responsible for leading organization wide projects and working with multiple departments to deliver projects on time and within budget.
As a member of the Shared Services team, the Project Manager must have a solid understanding of project management principles and tools, and the flexibility to lead diverse and dynamic teams.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Partner with project sponsors to define project objectives, scope, schedule, and budget.
- Establishes project charter and plan, including project milestones and metrics
- Manage the execution of projects from planning through delivery, including project team management, resource management, budget, scheduling, project performance, and overall delivery quality
- Manage the activities of projects to align with the strategic direction of CIFAR.
- Perform risk analysis and develop mitigation plans accordingly
- Timely and effective communication with the project team, sponsors and stakeholders regarding project status, risks and issues
- Assist in gathering requirements; manage requirements documentation, including change management of requirements
- Develop roll out plans of projects, working closely with stakeholders to ensure successful roll out and change management of projects
- Confirm project outcomes by establishing standards and testing requirements that may include test plan creation
- Continuously re-evaluate project status, identify issues and risks, and provide recommendations for resolution and escalate when necessary
- Work closely with project sponsor and Director, Finance to ensure projects are on budget, manage project budgets
- Initiate changes to internal process and program specific processes to enhance services and key performance indicators
- Develop training or work instructions as part of project roll out
- Provide direction to team members regarding the nature of assignment and provide on-going monitoring of activities and progress
- Provide guidance and mentoring to project coordinators to ensure that best practices are created and maintained
- Provide project management support to CIFAR’s annual operating plan
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least 5 years of experience managing diverse types of projects
- PMP designation required
- Excellent communication skills to effectively reach a broad audience of internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others
- Knowledge of project management tools and technologies
Position reports to: Chief Financial & Administrative Officer
Term of position: Full-time, permanent
Start date: As soon as possible
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com quoting Project Manager in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is March 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
One of CIFAR's core cultural values is Diversity - we value diversity and aspire to be inclusive in all aspects of our work. CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer and is strongly committed to removing systemic barriers and biases, and by promoting the practice of inclusivity, so that all individuals have equal access to and benefit from the work we do. We encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES - CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the term 'Accessibility' in the Subject Line or call 416-619-4219. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset. For a French version of the job posting, please visit www.cifar.ca.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted via email.