A critical question that remains in biology is how our genomes and inherent genetic variation give rise to phenotypic traits. Currently, there are many national and international efforts underway to sequence the genomes of thousands to millions of individuals at the whole genome level in order to better understand how genetic variants and their interactions contribute to disease etiology and to accelerate advances in precision medicine.
This pursuit will require the development of novel experimental approaches and computational methods to improve our understanding of the functional impact and clinical utility of these networks. Enabling interdisciplinary collaboration and integrating clinical and experimental data will be critical to this endeavour.
On April 3, 2019, CIFAR will convene a roundtable conversation in Santa Cruz, California on a topic at the vanguard of genomics: how combinations of variants yield disease phenotypes, and how knowledge of genetic interactions can be exploited to interpret genomes.
Bringing together international and influential leaders in genomics from academia, industry and healthcare, and leading scholars in CIFAR’s Genetic Networks research program, the roundtable will explore bold ideas and novel approaches related to:
- Modeling genotype to phenotype for complex disease;
- Large-scale variant interpretation and methods for identifying functional variants in population and disease-specific cohorts;
- How whole genome sequencing and other novel genomic approaches are informing the molecular basis of complex disease;
- Leveraging large-scale genetic interaction maps in model systems to understand incomplete penetrance and variable expressivity in humans;
- How machine learning can extract meaning and support genotype-disease models; and
- How large-scale cell-based and organismal models can be systematically integrated to interpret population and clinical data.
This CIFAR Exchange in Health will challenge participants to think outside their comfort zone, generate thought-provoking conversation, and uncover novel opportunities for exploration and discovery.
Participation is by invitation-only.